Sunday, July 21, 2013

My time @ T.I.M.E.



Warning: The following post is a boring, monotonous, sleep-inducing write-up by an insomniac on how he spent a year as a teacher at an institute and the meaningful/meaningless stuff he gathered along the way. If you are bored already, read no further. This one’s not for you. The next post could be. For the rest, it’s your call. I’ve warned you already ;-) :-)

Hello folks, am back again. My last blog post was one of the most satisfying in a lot of ways for it did seem to make sense to a lot of people. Happy :-)

Coming to the part about what has been going on in my life for the past few months, well, I really don’t know where to begin and where do I take it from. To cut a long story short, I realized my dream of 6 years (i.e.) to get into an IIM. :-) Yeah. I am a student of IIM Kashipur now and let’s deal with that part -about my journey to an IIM, later. 

Let’s now concentrate on what led to this - my time at TIME.
 
Let me just put this as briefly as I can. I finished Engineering, got placed and landed a job with Vedanta Resources. I was posted in Jharsuguda, Odisha. Despite initial hiccups, I began to like that place and started enjoying my job. That’s when I was transferred to a Copper Smelter unit in Tuticorin and things got worse. To put it in a nutshell, I didn’t like my job at Tuticorin and I quit in just 6 months. I took up a job as a Faculty/Trainer at TIME Coimbatore. How I got that job? Well, I still don’t know, but I’m grateful to my former boss, the TIME director, for giving me the job. 

My time at TIME lasted one full year starting from June 2012, all the way till May 2013. Looking back, I couldn’t have had a better time anywhere else and I mean it. What an amazing experience it was!! 

I realized...

This period saw me transform from a serious, studious, introverted geek to a zestful, extroverted dude. My entire outlook changed. Some of my firm beliefs were shaken. My ego took a beating on many an occasion. I discovered that I had an emotional side. I realized that I could be incredibly boring at times. And I also found out that there were people who even liked this boring part of me. I realized that I had a philosopher residing within me. I found out that it doesn’t take much to forge a great friendship.  I realized that people are very unique and different by default. I saw how insecure and doubtful can some people be. I realized that I could act incredibly stupid at times and yet feel ok about it. I realized that in a comfortable setting, I can just be myself without worrying about anything. 

I realized that I really enjoyed teaching at times. I came to know that there were people who really enjoyed my classes. I realized that girls are normal beings too ;-) :-) I realized that I could be close friends with a girl. But I also realized that some girls can be really crazy at times. I doubted like Einstein did – Am I the one who’s crazy or is everyone else crazy? :-P ;-)

I realized that there was a spiritual side to me. I realized that there can be bosses who are extremely nice and extremely efficient at the same time. I rediscovered my love for poetry. I gave myself a pen-name which is known only to a select few. I realized that there could be people following me as a role model without even me realizing. I realized that I need to set a good example for them. I also realized that at such times, you need to be your true self rather than being pretentious.

I realized that it’s very wrong to judge a person unless you know them really well. I realized that a lot of people had aspects linked to their personality that was preventing them from being their true self. I gave out a lot of advice. I realized that I did so out of care and sincerity, but also realized that people may not like it. I realized the true meaning of the words “Silence is Golden”. 

I realized that it’s impossible to satisfy all the people all the time. I realized that friends are invaluable. I realized that solitude is not always fun. I realized that an idle mind is truly a devil’s workshop. I realized that most people are fickle. I realized that I’m fickle too. A person could be everything to you one day; you may not even remember him/her the next day. I realized that the world as such is very temporary. Nothing is permanent and everything changes.
  
I realized that a single negative thought could spoil your day. I also realized that a positive thought spreads happiness to everyone around. I realized that certain people make me feel very comfortable that I could talk anything when they are around. I realized that mind is the master and as long as you have it under control, everything will be fine. I realized that it’s a blessing to have a sane head and a balanced mind. I also realized that not everyone had that. I realized that I had feministic views about certain things. I also realized that not everyone had an open mind to take it.

I realized that music is the best tonic for the soul. I realized that I liked talking about music. I realized that I did know something about Carnatic music. I realized that I could play the keyboard quite well.

I realized that I can really care for others more than I cared for myself. I also realized that it’s foolish to expect anything you do, to be reciprocated. I realized that some people could be really strange. I realized that there could be weird characters in perfectly sane individuals. I realized that I could be really patient, especially with friends. I realized that I could get really sensitive at times. I realized that emotions make me weak, but I also realized that a man is nothing without the emotions.
  
I realized that when you love your work, you don’t think of it as work. I realized that I could score incredibly well in Verbal. I also realized that I could perform miserably in Quants, at times. I realized that I could get supremely confident at times and people could easily mistake it as arrogance.

I realized that I could get addicted to texting and Whatsapp. I realized that some dreams could get shattered just like that. I realized that I had good inter-personal skills.

Most importantly, I realized that you get what you deserve based on the effort that you put in, despite the fact that luck plays a small part.  There are so many other things that I learnt at TIME, but let’s end it here lest it becomes too boring, even for me :-P 

To end it, simply put, I realized that I am what I am for that’s what I am and I am this individual called Ashwin Murali.

When asked in an IIM interview as to what I did over the past few months at TIME apart from studying and teaching, I answered that I utilized that time to reflect on myself. The panelists were surprised but didn’t question me further. Now reading what I had written in this post, I can definitely say that I did introspect well and I have done a fair job of reflecting myself. A person who served as a mirror for me would vouch for that.  
And before I wrap up, let me just thank a few people, but for whom, nothing would have been possible over the past year.

Subbu sir - my boss and TIME Coimbatore Director. Nothing would have been possible but for his confidence in us and support. I owe it to you sir. I don't think I could ever find a boss like him :-)

Rajesh Sir: More of a friend than a teacher. Sponsored a cup of coffee for us daily. Had some unforgettable times with him at TIME. Also the person who helped me keep in touch with Hindi, which, believe me, is helping me tremendously right now. 

Srividya: A teacher turned friend. Well, she has been a friend all along but the past few months helped me interact with her the same way as I would with any of my close friends.  One person who can inspire and encourage you in times of need. Easily the most eloquent teacher that I ever had. There’s so much more to say, but you know all that Srivi  :-)

Prabhakaran sir: One word. Genius. Thank you sir.

Kamala Ma’am: Wonderful teacher. Thank you Ma’am.

Thresia Ma’am, Thelma Ma’am, Dominic Sir, Murugesh Anna and other TIME staff: Well, TIME wouldn’t be TIME without them. Thank you all. :-)

My students who became great friends: To Sidhu, Ashwin Nair, Dhinesh Karthik, Dinesh (TNAU, IIM L), Aishu, Miki, Manoj, Viji, Ranjini, Manasa and Ram, thank you guys. Can’t imagine the year gone by without you all. Enough said already I guess :-)

Cynthia: One of the most amazing persons I met during my time at TIME. Great friend. You already know everything else that I could say. Thank you Cynthia  :-)

Shyam: My TIME journey started with him. One of the best persons that I had ever met.  Again, spoken enough. Thank you da :-)

Shivaguru: Redefines everything. Again, enough said. Thanks da :-)

Roshni: She was the real ‘roshni’ of TIME.  Guess that sums up everything. She knows everything else that I’d probably say. Thank you Rosh :-)

Well, that’s it for now. My next post isn’t far away for I have this strong urge to write more and more. Hope time permits :-)

Cheers :-)

-Ashwin Murali


9 comments:

Siddharth Manoharan said...

Well written and true to its content !

Unknown said...

Simply Superb :)You have achieved a great success n ur serious efforts have paid off and u deserve every bit of it..Best wishes for your future..God Bless!!!!

Ashmur said...

@Sidhu: Thanks a lot da :-)

Ashmur said...

@Diji Didi: Wow!! Thanks a lot didi!! :-) You played an important part in keeping me motivated :-) Can't imagine my Jharsuguda days without you, Sridhar or Dinesh :-) Thanks again, my Hindi teacher :-)

.. said...

uve written your heart out. Well done! The first one was unnecessary. I'm sure everyone wud love reading your 'heart-written' words. I never knew blog wud help for a thanku letter. Amazing stuff. Cheers mr.IIM. Happy envy-ness on you. Rock on.

Unknown said...

Made me think of old times..... May be I will also realise myself..

Unknown said...

Made me think of old times..... May be I will also realise myself..

Ashmur said...

@Harsha: Thanks a lot bro :-) Feel so happy reading your response :-)

Ashmur said...

@Unknown: Thanks a lot :-)